When you get hurt in an accident, you may not have unlimited time to file a lawsuit and seek compensation. If you want to make a slip and fall claim, for example, you must make it before the statute of limitations expires. A Snohomish County slip & fall lawyer from our firm can help you make a claim in a timely manner.

How Long Do I Have to Make a Slip and Fall Claim?

The state of Washington gives you three years to file a slip and fall claim. Wait any longer than that and your case is likely to be thrown out no matter how much evidence you have.

This limit can change if you get hurt at work though. If you slip and fall at work, you are supposed to inform your employer right away. Claims should be filed within the year under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, or LHWCA. An exemption to this is maritime workers covered under the Jones Act. You have three years to pursue compensation under this act.

What Kinds of Damages Can I Win After Making a Slip and Fall Claim?

When you make a slip and fall claim, your compensation should not just reimburse you for the economic costs of an accident. It should also make up for the psychological trauma and pain that you experienced as a result of your accident. A fair compensation offer can help make up for:

  • Medical expenses, past and future
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Loss of earning potential
  • Mental anguish
  • Pain from disability or disfigurement
  • Any other pain and suffering experienced as a result of the slip and fall

However, it’s important to note that not all of these damages are available to you if you are going through the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. Payouts from these claims are concerned with costs like medical expenses, lost wages, and job retraining.

Can I Sue the Government For Damages?

You can, but there are often special rules about suing a government entity. You must first notify the government that you plan to make a claim before you actually make one. After a waiting period, usually 60 days, you can file your lawsuit. In most cases, you still have up to three years to file a lawsuit. If you are at all confused, you should talk to an attorney. You do not want to miss your chance to pursue compensation.

Contact Our Firm

Our lawyers are ready to help you whether you are suing the government, making a third-party injury claim, or filing for LGWCA benefits. So if you are ready to make a slip and fall claim, our lawyers would like to hear from you. Contact Amy C Brown Law, PLLC and schedule a consultation today. We can take a closer look at your case and tell you more about how an attorney can be of assistance.