If you get hurt in a crane or cargo accident, you have rights. Maritime law allows you to claim compensation, and you may have additional legal options depending on what led to the accident and how it occurred. A Snohomish County port & pier injury lawyer from our firm could tell you more.

What Are Some Common Injuries From Crane or Cargo Accidents?

Some of the injuries from a crane or cargo accident can be quite serious. They can result in a big pile of expensive medical bills and prevent someone from working for a long time. Common injuries include:

  • Knee injuries
  • Harm to the wrist or arms
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
  • Back and neck injuries
  • Burn injuries
  • Amputation of limbs
  • The loss of a sense, like hearing or vision
  • Exposure to chemicals

What Should I Do After a Crane or Cargo Accident?

After an accident, you should begin building a potential case and taking steps to protect yourself. We recommend:

  • Taking photos of the accident scene
  • Getting statements and contact info from witnesses
  • Reporting your injury to your employer immediately
  • Getting medical care as soon as possible

If you do not report your injury and get medical care quickly, that can make it difficult to secure benefits. Someone could claim that you weren’t injured at work at all, or that your injuries were not that severe because you would have gone for medical care sooner if they were. Do not give anyone the chance to cut off potential avenues to compensation.

How Can I Recieve Compensation After a Crane or Cargo Accident?

Under maritime injury laws, you should receive maintenance and cure benefits due to your injuries. You can receive this form of compensation even if you were responsible for the accident that caused you to get hurt. Maintenance benefits are there to help you pay for living expenses, like food and housing costs. Cure benefits help you pay for medical treatments. These run out when you have recovered or reached a stage where additional treatments will not help with your injuries.

This may not be the only compensation that you can secure. If your injuries have temporarily or permanently disabled you, you may be able to apply for benefits under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, LHWCA. These benefits can make up for some of the wages you are missing out on as a result of your accident.

If you believe that a third party is partly to blame for your accident, you may also be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit that could help you secure more compensation. A good example of this would be if your accident was caused by a faulty piece of equipment and you sued the manufacturer.

Schedule a Consultation Today

It’s a good idea to know all of your options after suffering a workplace injury. So contact Amy C Brown Law, PLLC and schedule a meeting with our team. We can tell you more about what kinds of compensation you can receive and how our attorneys can help you secure it.