When you get hurt at work, you should receive compensation. This applies to employees on ships and in the maritime industry as well, but the workers’ compensation system for workers like these looks a bit different. Maritime workers who get injured on the job receive “maintenance and cure” benefits, but what does that mean exactly? What do these benefits cover? A Snohomish County commercial fishing injury lawyer from our firm can tell you more.

What Are Maintenance Benefits?

“Maintenance” benefits are paid out to help a maritime industry worker cover their living expenses while they are out of work. These benefits can help someone pay their rent or buy groceries. The maintenance benefits are technically only supposed to be used for essentials, so they are not supposed to go towards things like car payments or your cable bill. Still, it can be nice to have them when you get hurt and can’t work for a time.

What Are Cure Benefits?

Then you have “cure” benefits, which are meant to help an injured worker pay for their medical expenses. These benefits can help pay hospital and medical bills. The idea here is that an injured worker shouldn’t have to pay to fix an injury they received while working for their employer. Maintenance and cure benefits should take care of those costs for them.

When Can I Receive Maintenance and Cure Benefits?

You can receive maintenance and cure benefits any time you get injured on the job. They last until you are fully recovered from your injuries or as recovered as you are going to get. Unfortunately, some serious injuries suffered at sea can leave lasting effects.

It’s also important to note that a seaman can be eligible for these benefits when they get sick too. If you develop a medical condition while working, you could be awarded maintenance and cure payments until you recover.

What if Someone Was to Blame For My Injuries?

These benefits are paid out no matter who is at fault, but if you believe that you were injured or sickened because of a neglectful employer or supervisor, you may be able to claim additional compensation. There are two options available to maritime industry workers.

For those workers who are considered seamen because they spend most of their time working on the water, filing a Jones Act claim is an option. If you cannot file a claim under the Jones Act, you may be able to seek benefits under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. This LHWCA applies to many types of maritime workers, from shipbuilders to longshoremen. If there is any confusion, a lawyer from our firm can help you figure out which law applies to you.

Meet With Our Legal Team

If you got hurt on the job, you should talk to lawyers who know the maritime and fishing industries. Contact Amy C Brown Law, PLLC and ask to schedule a consultation with our team today. We can tell you more about your options and what kinds of benefits you could receive.